Wednesday, November 12, 2008

John 10:14-16

It says, "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me - just as the Father knows me and I know the Father - and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

This passage is a perfect example of God's calling for us to participate in the loving relationship of the Trinity. The Trinity (as I understand it...aka not very well) is characterized by relationship and an externally focused love. This can be seen in the dynamic relationship between the Jesus and the Father. Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus and the Father are in constant dialogue with each other; so much so that their thoughts and their wills are indistinguishable from one another. In Jesus we see God's mercy, love, grace, and justice. The gospel of John says that we too can participate in this act of knowing and being known. That the goal of Christianity is to reach a point where our will and the will of our Father are indistinguishable. People no longer see us, but our actions cause them to lift their eyes to God. But, this can only be done through dialogue. We must constantly be in prayer in order that we may begin to be transformed into the image of Jesus.

The passage doesn't end there. It then talks about going out and bringing in the sheep that are not in this sheep pen. And then there will be one flock and one shepherd. This shows the externally focused love that is found in the Trinity. God's love is never just for Godself; it is always flowing into humanity and creation (which are the greatest examples of this external love!), drawing people into a relationship with the Triune God. This is the goal of transformation, to draw people into a relationship with their God. So just as the Triune God is three persons in one, so the Church will be many members but ONE body with Christ as its head. The Church is the manifestation and representation of the Triune God here on Earth. How sick is that!

I know this is nothing knew, but it's really cool when stuff you learn in class effects what you read in your devotionals.

4 comments:

Amy said...

good to see you on here, my friend! i noticed you had a blog maybe a week or so ago when my blog told me you were following it. haha.

what translation of the bible did your quote come from? i don't recognize the "i have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen" line, but i like it a lot for some reason.

yes, sick indeed. :-) i look forward to reading future posts of yours!

Gudymente said...

I used the NIV English-Spanish Interlinear Bible

Trento said...

Same as Amy, I saw that you were a follower of my blog. I'm not even sure what that means, but ditto. Excitement toawrds future posts.

Padfoot240 said...

It sure does.

GUDY! BLOG!